Sunday, March 18, 2012

Memo To Myself About Joining DGA...A Deterrent

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13

Hope. Joy. Peace.

The emphasis placed on the importance of television production instead of health and well being has become a soul sucking, dark force to be reckoned and wrestled with until I  eventually come out on the other side, gasping for pure, clean air and a life consisting of kind substance and consistent rest.

Until then I will operate with skewed priorities and misplaced truths as to what we are losing sleep over and fighting feverishly for...

That's the plan anyways. 

I asked Ice how he was doing during a particularly demoralizing, eye rolling day. 

"Me, I'm always good. Cause I have a reference to pain. And this is the good life."

Mmmm.

The good life.

Episodic television.

The cutthroat drama spoon fed and soaked through into my psyche that if I drop a line or miss a cue, I will  be doomed into a world of lesser excitement and weakened fun.

The four walls of make believe that seep false smiles and cause you to question your worth, purpose, and sensibilities of understanding the lack of depth in dialogue or comprehending the shallowness of character.

The appeal of national adoration beckoning me to adopt the notion that this work matters and the stunted growth is inspiring.

The flashing bulbs and soft opal lighting blind me.

When I close my eyes on set and let the words of a fellow actor saying "most people would die to be here" mixed with a wave of nausea wash over me, I thought about the good life.
And wondered.

Is he right?


**DGA-Directors Guild of America


No comments:

Post a Comment