Thursday, January 9, 2014

There Is No I In Baby

"To be fully alive is not to simply drink deeply of life and be satisfied. It's to become a well, offering life to the world around you. That is what it means to be fully alive." Jason Jaggard

Signs, Signs.
 Everywhere There's Signs.
Fucking Up the Scenery.
Breaking my Mind.
Do this, don't do that.
Can't you read the sign?
Tesla (my favorite version at least)

I've been thinking about that song a lot.

Signs.
The blinking new gadget. The shiny new dress. The alarmingly popular phone apps that the NSA considers their wettest dream come true. The bright and flashing banner over your head saying "You need me, to feel value." We are bombarded.
All of these signs in one way or another keep us from being introspective and cause us to covet and stray far from what the Apostle Paul preached, which was learning to be content in every situation.
 In need. And in plenty.
The multitude of choices, options, the new and improved are simply a diversion from our path and God's purpose for our lives.

I liken the signs to all the Mommy Blogs out there.
You know the ones that give the rah-rah pep talks....
The women that say I'm enough. I'm a mom and that's sufficient.
 I call bullshit
I'm not. It's not.
And the repetitive mantra of these fellow sisters has my head spinning somewhere in between guilt and pressure.

Being a Mom is enough? Then why do I want more? Should I suppress these clear desires?
It's the MOST important job of your life! Then I should perform as such...and if I fail or stumble, the most important job won't be accomplished?!
Again bullshit.

As I told my near and dear women at my Moms group today, I fall short of the Glory of God on a consistent basis. I will never be enough. The fruits of my labor alone with never be sufficient.

The Lord says in 2 Corinthians, "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness so that Christ's power may rest in me."

God's Sovereignty is sufficient.
I'm a Mama alright. I'm giving of myself. As Christ gave Himself to us.
For now, I am poised to be the face of God in this tough world to my son.
It is my prayer that my he will continuously see me on my knees in reliant fellowship and constant submission with the Lord.
And may that serve as a reminder that He must become greater, we must become less.

If I do that... That's enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment