Friday, December 2, 2011

No Guts, No Glory


"But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world." 1 Corinthians 11:31-32


"Don't judge yourself."
That was the advice given to me by an actor on set after he inquired about my "lack" of blogging frequency. (I met this man on my first day on a television set in NYC...see Industry Lingo)

This comment perplexed me.

If we don't judge ourselves based on our actions or rather our inactivity then how will we know if we've met the mark or if we should correct our behavior. How can we chart our progress?

I'd just come from a casting meeting I initiated, where the agent apologized for not considering me, a white, blond, 30's, conservative, wife to say one measly line that would grant me $900 for the day and a few handy residual checks.

My co-workers told me it was ballsy. I said it was just a move forward.

I know there are people content and complacent?  I think that is more dangerous than chance.

For instance...

Got to the breakfast truck before dawn. It was dark. And a Monday.
 But something still did not look quite right.

Where were my walnuts? My favorite maple syrup? Our chef at the gill who knows exactly how I take my eggs and the story behind it? Our Colombian caterer brewing my ritualized Pedro's blend?

Gone? How? They worked for NBC for 12 years.
Got lazy?  Fired on the spot? And now they're at the tail end of the unemployment line....

Say what you will about the television/film business. (No Mercy Cut Throat) But it boils down to, they shuffled their feet and lost their seat. And it can happen to any one of us if we put our guard down.

I's tired. But I'd rather...
Conquer mountains tall and oceans deep,
Overcome every hill and dale,
Reach for the stars in the universe,
Dream big and dare to fail. -Glessing

Isn't it time to live a life that will stir your heart and motivate others?




No comments:

Post a Comment