Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Just Enough, Thank You

"What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever. The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes,ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from, there they return again.
All things are wearisome, more than one can say.The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing. What has been will be again,what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun."  Ecclesiastes 1:3-9

The wisest man in the world indeed. I do not need to read back over my BLAHg to know I've quoted this profound man and this stellar book times before. For believers and non-believers alike, it should rank high on best sellers lists, but alas Malcolm Gladwell still has people's ears.
Still it never ceases to amaze me the brilliance of King Solomon's writings and the truth they spout so poetically today.

It's been said that there are three kind of lives lived. Pleasant or Pleasure Seeking, Engaged or finding worth in work and role, or Meaningful which is using one's strengths for something larger than oneself. I admit for a long time I've been the peak experience, thrill seeker.
That joy is not sustainable. I'm learning this the hard way as baby=sunset bedtimes. And the notion that my one precious glass of Thank God He Is Asleep wine could quickly multiply its volume.

 A recurring theme has been rearing its head in my limited life at the moment. It is pouring from my pastor's mouth, spilling out onto my yoga mat, and running through the pages of my library book.  What are my boundaries?  And at what length (detriment) will I go to reach and surpass them? This chasing after the wind to win the hearts of man or attain the possessions of one's neighbor has very little to do with personal satisfaction but more with a heaping spoonful of discontented grief.

I tackle this subject because I've had to answer the question of "What do I do?" lately. And my response has elicited a number of disinterested and sympathetic glazes.

What do I do? I put on my cape and tights and give myself pep talks along the likes of "I will not let my 20 pound six month old manipulate my emotions today."

Wouldn't it be nice if we could use the side of the pool to push off and glide through life's grace and gravity? Instead we toil and chase. Guilt and doubt in oneself gurgles up from the depths as if being the Mama I am to the boy I have, is not enough.

Trust me, it is.


Do you believe God can get you where you are supposed to be and will you be content when you get there?



No comments:

Post a Comment