Monday, September 23, 2013

SLAP: Another Lesson In The Meaning of Life

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”Matthew 5:4

You know the expression, What a difference a day makes?
The weekend's events make the above statement the truest sentence in the world.

For shame on me. I write this with a heavy humbled heart....

 One moment, I think I have found myself in the equivalent of my worst nightmare. The underworld of Mom's gathered in a Baptist Church basement eating chicken salad and coconut pie discussing the perils of parenthood. The maternal clan who lines up for their copy of the Raleigh Sunday paper for the triple coupon bounty. The Lysol wipe hoarders, the arts and crafts brigade, the stay at home posse commiserating the joys of children over a cup of lukewarm coffee.

I think, "This is my life?"

The next, I am strolling with my son on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon down an oak-lined neighborhood street when I'm stopped by a barrage of flashing blue lights and yellow police tape.
As distraught families explain in detail the sounds of the shots heard minutes before, detectives warn us to not disturb the bullet casings scattered at our feet. An 18 year old boy, gunned down in broad daylight, lies dead on the scene. A Mama has lost her baby.
This is the definition of anyone's worst nightmare.

I held my baby tight and rejoiced, "This is my life!"

Thank you Lord Jesus for the painful perspective and comfort this family as my boy and I take a short walk to be with them and their pain today.

I'm so sorry.




No comments:

Post a Comment