Monday, June 27, 2011

Fish Out of Whata

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

Last week I got a glimpse of how to live relatively stress free on the island of Manhattan.

Besides the fact that I didn't get one day of work to speak.

I took to the four lanes of chlorinated water at my Jewish-Operated YMCA.

A contradiction. I know.

And entered the fascinating world of plump Jew Matrons who spend their two hour lunchtime kick boarding and gossiping about the latest elite camp in the Adirondacks.

And of course who's going.

After our "workout" concludes, we retreat to the showers. And complain about the new heads and poor water pressure. And all agree we must politely email the staff and let them know immediately.

Agreed? Agreed.

Then, it's off to the steamy sauna to let it all hang down and out, wipe our brows, rifle through our ancient plastic bags for who knows what, and discuss how faaast of a swimmer I am and did I know any Rockefeller heirs?

Exiting fresh and revived with purpose, we retreat to our corners of the locker room.

Yes, I think I may be onto something. A diamond in the rough if you will.

As I was dried, dressed, and dashing out the door, I looked over my shoulder at the pasty white and kind faces still drying their bountiful 70 year old bodies and heard:
"See there, you used to complain about our chats, now you're one of us. And don't we know how to have fun?"

Why Yes. Yes you do.





1 comment:

  1. I'm still cracking up at the "Jewish-Operated YMCA". Gotta love America! :)

    ReplyDelete