Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hubris Stained Humility

"Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice." Proverbs 13:10

My very liberal and very pregnant Brooklynite, writing teacher had our class eating from the palm of her bleeding heart as she critiqued a Stephen King short story and the political undertones regarding the atrocities of the welfare dependent poor and the spoiled disgust of the smart and successful who look the other way.

My blood boiling, I spoke the words, " Personal Choice and Consequences."

I am a young victim and old victor of both.

And this makes us who we are supposed to become.

My parents divorced when I was barely 11 years old.
And in the aftermath, each of us made our own decisions and had to gain our own version of control....

Stop me if this strikes a chord.

Do you "help" other people drive - tell them what route to take, when to turn, where to park, remind them that the traffic light has changed? ( me, mama, daddy)

Do you give people a lot of "shoulds" - unsolicited advice, suggestions, and "constructive criticism?" (me, mama, daddy)

Do you have lots of personal rules, routines, and ceremonies? (me, daddy)

Are you the one who takes over and orders other people around when the situation seems confused? (me)

Do you dislike depending on others, accepting help from them, or allowing them to do things for you? (Mama)

Do you insist on "being right," having things done your way, or having the final word? (me, Mama, Daddy)

Do you "over-plan" simple activities? (me, Daddy)

Do you find it difficult to admit making mistakes, being wrong or misinformed about something, or acknowledging that you've changed your mind? (me, Mama, Daddy)

Do you become angry, irritable, or anxious when someone or something makes you late, when things don't start on time, or things don't go according to plan? (me)

So what does this make us and just where has it gotten us?

1 comment:

  1. I'm assuming it might be somewhat of a problem if the answer is "yes" to all of these?

    ReplyDelete