Monday, July 11, 2011

The Human... Conditioned

"And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”" Genesis 3:22

Somewhere between haggling with my fruit stand vendor over grape tomatoes and purchasing yet another copy of Elie Wiesel's Night for a dollar from the back of a catch-all tailgate....
It occurred to me as I smugly drank my freezing cold Kombucha on a hot Bowery corner, eyeing a homeless man soaking his feet in a bucket while reading the Daily News, that since my Monday's now consist of cheap psychotherapy where I wring my hands over suffering and loss to a subsidized septuagenarian then elbow up in a cramped classroom to other hopeful writers, critiquing one another's work and discussing the difference between a think piece novella and "Literary" as a separate genre all on its own, that without premeditated intent, I have become a walking New York City cliche.

Did you read it in one breath?

No comments:

Post a Comment