Thursday, December 16, 2010

Twas A Work Day

"And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is his name.” - Luke 1:46-47, 49

Flurries were falling as I sat at the bedroom window, swallowing the last lump of my tepid maple oatmeal. I stalled in putting on my fourth layer of down as the radiator was starting to spit... Fifteen degrees wind chill and a 7 AM, two train commute to the necessary evil J-O-B don't necessarily set my weary wheels in motion.

But Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and today she was my employer.
And with the simple phrase, "Let's Play Hookie", so began the magical day where a jaded woman like me is swooped into a fantasy land of pure childhood glee.

A full cream gingerbread latte warmed my inside and the heated seats of car service warmed my back hide.
Now dash away all to Rockefeller Center where sleigh bells jingle and Kathy Lee and Hoda's plastic smiles twinkle.

Where Jolly men in red fat suits surround the glorious bright tree.
And the freezing violinist plucks O Holy Night on his vibrating strings.

Stand in the glow of St. Patrick's Cathedral by Fendi's dripping icicle lights.
Pick a Present at Bergdorf's then dine on truffle butter Lobster, overlooking the park's winter blight.

Henri Bendel Jewelry under the shining chandeliers...
Escape from swarming FAO Schwartz hell and the whining tears. AHHH!

Admire SAKS window dressings and $1800 Chanel shoes...
Eat Chocolate Ganache, Candied Ginger, Peppermint Icing, and whatever dessert I choose!!

Carriage rides up Central's Westside.
A beaming smile on my face.
Yes, enjoying holiday indulgence can be done with style and grace.

Hip Hip Hooray, let me sing and cheer.
And raise a bubbling glass for enduring this entire last year.

THANKS YH.

Amongst the giving and getting, and eating and greeting...
Will you remember the real reason for the season?


No comments:

Post a Comment