Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ehhh

"My days are swifter than a runner; they fly away without a glimpse of joy." Job 9:25

Monday Morning.
I'm mentally paralyzed.
The jackhammer waited to pound the asphalt under my window until daybreak.
For this I was thankful. And the passing rain.

Determined to not see New York living through the eyes of Job...

After my meeting with Screen Actors Guild, I find myself walking over the Williamburg bridge for some greasy pork belly at Fatty Cue in the sunshine.
The spell bounding and surreal view of magnificent New York to my left looks like a giant meticulously painted backdrop propped up against a finally blue sky.
The stark block letters reading SCREW RENT are spray painted black on the concrete tenement to my right.
I transfix my eyes on this cold hard truth instead as the green river rolls below and sigh.
I don't see any bobbing bodies like the recent lucky few on the two hour tour.
The Lovely Lady Liberty peers around the corner.

When you actually take the time to move slowly through the chaos, you find the stoic silence of passersby to be odd and forced.
We're rubbing shoulders and touching thighs half the time but are strangely embarrassed by eye contact or a mere hello.

The day passes rapidly as do they all.

I remind myself that a day off is not carte blanche to neurotically sweat and panic in a mad hustle to make sure I don't have two in a row and deliberately don't skip steps on the way to A Train Uptown.

Madison Square Garden is amok with bodies and flurrying with scalpers. I tell three rather assertive hustlers, no to their low offers, before settling on a fair price with the Rangers fan who is screaming at the jerk in handcuffs for selling him fake tickets. He buys me a beer inside.

Eat my dinner at midnight and set my alarm for four hours later...Joyfully.

Do you log the days of your life in a win/lose column?



No comments:

Post a Comment