Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life Cycles From A Cynic

"And I applied my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is but a striving after wind." Ecclesiastes 1:17

I know I've crossed over the line of youthful and accepting to old and intolerant when I am freshed dressed blown dry and head to the streets before sunrise and there are smatterings of obliterated bodies resembling zombies left over from Hallows Eve stinking of over imbibing and bummed cigarettes at my front door and I turn up my collar along with my pointed nose with disapproval.

I know I've down right had it when a bloody Tin Man approaches me on a dark corner and asks if I would join him for just one drink, while diving in front of me to grab a slice of cold crust at my feet.

But the defeating and evident truth that I've been beat is when I find myself on the Uptown 6 train heading to work at 5 AM surrounded by makeshift costumes warmed over and bloodshot eyes of laughing revelers that outnumber me fun to none.
And I bury my nose in the Post and let the tinge of homesickness wash over my oh so grown and responsible tired body.

Am I too young to say that youth is a disease from which we all recover? ~Dorothy Fulheim

No comments:

Post a Comment