Thursday, July 15, 2010

My mother in law frequently asks me if I am ever scared living in New York City.
"But when you walk to the subway, aren't you afraid?"
When I respond with the pure and simple fact that there are constantly people in the streets..she questions that reply.
"Don't you know people in New York City walk by people being raped and robbed everyday?"
To this shuttering thought, I shrug and shake my head.

Today, 6 AM I step over a well dressed, young man face, down and lips splayed open on the wet pavement. He's out cold. It isn't until I reach the Brooklyn bound L entrance that it occurs to me, I wasn't quite sure he was breathing.
This jadedness scares the living shit out of me.

Here's what used to send chills down my spine..Chris Sarandon in Fright Night with pearly white fangs sucking the blood of the innocent... now a judge on the Good Wife, he's lost his edge. It's now Julianna Marguiles' glare that sends me cowering.




1 comment:

  1. Behold what impression america has of our lovely city based on mass media: trillions of cop show episode and lurid "news" presentations.
    This is the same effect that causes parents to keep their children constantly under surveillance, because they heard some kid somewhere a thousand miles away got snatched.
    So they sit and get fat and log in hour upon hour of screen time.

    ReplyDelete