Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh Yeah. All Right. Take it Easy Baby. Make it Last All Night..

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

I wonder
just how many times bartenders can blast Tom Petty's American Girl at high decibels and get a resounding cheerleader roar from the women shimmying their weight to the center of attention. I thought about this as I stood on my cold kitchen tiles in swollen bare feet and listened to the thumping of undergrads on a wood floor at 3 AM.

Mind you I wasn't waxing poetically about the draw of a Gainesville grown guitar player for sheer mind stretching kicks, I was simply still running on exhaust somewhere between angry adrenaline and Basil Haydens bite.

After enduring ten hours of The Good Wife in hand me down Yves St. Laurent stilettos with tissue stuffed in the toes, I made my pilgrimage home between the shoulder high ice caves that encompassed each block.
Nearly home and nearly sane navigating drunk crowds and dangerous conditions, it took a tough guy Korean in his black Lexus SUV to take me over the edge I was living.

Already burdened with five wardrobe changes and a white garment bag slowly turning the color of black slush, I crossed on a blinking red hand.
He in his Friday Night splendor decided he would beat the no right on red rule, cutting me off and grabbing all four of my (yes Joan Crawford) wire hangers in his wheel well...dragging me down 1st Avenue, while I beat the side of his car with my open palm.
Exercising his most honorable asset, he accelerated, turning my shoes into skis on the less than plowed road. With this, I took the back side of my fist and pounded it into his tinted window with enough force to convince him to slam on his brakes.
Upon which I unhooked myself, quickly surveyed the scratches down the side of his shiny weapon of choice and jerked open the back door where I found three beautifully coiffed Korean women and a sneering Napoleon sized man boy who couldn't look me in the eye.

While onlookers screamed the likes of "Whoa and Ya Alright?" I explained to the carload why I took the entire block ride with them and that it was their selfish mistake.
I didn't stick around to hear the coward defend his driving skills or shower me with dismissive names as I was dancing around the blaring horns and blinking blue lights of the aggravated
traffic behind.
Contrary to German philosophers beliefs, God is Alive!

“Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!”
Nietzsche

Do you think Friedrich was referring to our daily commute?

No comments:

Post a Comment