Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hot For Clever

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you."Psalm 32:8

A wine before improv class proved to be the creative impetus I needed, maybe that or just good scene partners.
Here's the thing about Improv; there are no certainties. Except, you gotta draw on life.

It was an absolute given that I would date my writing professor in college. I was in uncomfortable love with my Renaissance Literature teacher, but he was married , Midwestern, and Catholic so the pining lust was safely transferred to the more available rule breaker.

Yes, I found it incredibly inspiring to watch him divert his eyes during the lesson on how to build concrete characters knowing I had shared copious pints of frothy Bass with him and laid on his kitchen counter listening to YES albums the night before.

In fact, it reignited the coals I let grow cold in my meandering away from writing, awakening some talent I had not tapped. And after my final fiction short story, the one he told me I didn’t have to write, sat on the edge of his desk, I walked out of class knowing I wouldn’t see him again but would have the fodder to last.

I could use some of that inspiration about now.

"Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.
Make the white queen run so fast
She hasn’t got time to make you a wife.
’cause it’s time, it’s time in time
With your time and it’s news is captured
For the queen to use.
Move me on to any black square,
Use me any time you want,
Just remember that the gold
is for us to capture all we want, anywhere."Yes


Can you ever have TOO much experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment