Thursday, November 11, 2010

V is for Valor

"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God." 2 Corinthians 9:12

“I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.” ~Thomas Jefferson

Navigating the New York City morning commute is not a peaceful process.

It is one thing to endure the cat calls from the Super next door, dodge the Guatemalan scrubbing down the sidewalk with bleach, get called a Bitch in Polish for not taking her "We Buy Gold" flyer, walk against uptown traffic amid the horns, sirens, and exhaust, curse the clickety clack of the heels gaining on your own, negotiate the dolly's full of delivered cans of Alpo and packaged Halvah, to ultimately get blocked out when the F train finally arrives and the doors open.
But to crawl through these hoops and jump these angry obstacles to go to a mediocre job, with a thankless boss, for a measly hourly rate, to compete against the equally as hungry, hustling in a city whose standard of living is absurd at best is well, a painful process.

Except this morning.
Just when I tucked my chin into my tightly wrapped scarf, the thunderous roar of a Harley Davidson raised my eyes to the horizon of East Houston and a smile spread through them.
A noise what normally would make me cringe sounded like the songs of angels as hundreds upon hundreds of motorcycles rumbled up 1st Avenue flying the most beautiful colors of Old Glory and stark POW MIA flags off the back of their leather seats with a sense of pride you could touch and feel.

We live in the greatest country in the world and our freedom is bought time and time again with shed blood and immeasurable bravery. The men and woman who put themselves on the line to defend our honor, our constitution, and our waving flag are protectors, warriors, and heroes. Their unwavering commitment to their duty to maintain our safety should be revered and remembered. And we owe them not just gratitude.. but our lives.

Happy Veterans Day.

"I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A." LG

Did you say thank you?

No comments:

Post a Comment