Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Arrival Day Y'all

“By their fruit, you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes or figs from thistles?” Matthew 7

I'm a peach. It’s quite easy to recognize me. I have a soft exterior and a succulent juicy flesh. My core is strong, hard, and steady. I bruise easily, have the occasional blemish and often can be overripe or pithy. I thrive in hot weather and treasure my roots. I’m not a favorite fruit, but once tasted in my season, you’ll remember me.
And the best news of all, I’m southern sweet most of the time.

Talking about moving to New York City finally ran its eleven year course and today I left my Atlanta, Georgia home surrounded by confederate jasmine and gardenia bushes and took the swan leap into the concrete unknown... A Sweet Peach in the Big Apple. Let this city take me in!

My flight to Laguardia this morning was an optimistic half full which was good for me since I had five layers to shed and a bag full of immune-building arsenal to stuff under the seat. Short flight to a different world and touchdown... eighteen degrees of wind came off the river and slapped my huge grin across my face. I have arrived.

So much to think about.... Today is our new president's first day on the job and I have high hopes as to what fruit he will bear. My desire is that Americans will see he is just a man and not The Messiah. We have to be our better selfs. We have to have respect for all mankind and our differences.
My prayer is that the freedom and liberty we possess as citizens of this great America will materialize in my daily life. The freedom to praise, vent, worship, complain, spread sunshine, form an opinion and it to be widely rejected. The freedom to be who I am to the very pit of my soul.
I am overjoyed with the opportunity to hear the Lord's voice and make the right choice,
I’m ready, are you? Then tell me, just what kind of fruit are you producing?

2 comments:

  1. I love freedom! For all those things you mentioned and I do love peaches! And, for what its worth, I love Jesus, America, interacting with people different than myself (i.e. NYorkers, Chinese, etc.) and I definitely love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fruit am I? That's not an easy question to answer... I think I am more of a nut... I think I have a hard exterior, but soft inside. I can definitely be "nutty!" Oh, and I am just as much a part of sporting events as Nuts! That's all I've got on that...

    ReplyDelete