Friday, January 23, 2009

Fresh from the crate

Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted. Proverbs 22:29

After waking up this morning at 9 AM, making a slow french press in my robe while listening to Tito Paris, I had a revelation...I don't want to wake up with dawn and rush uptown (stand on the subway) to the same place everyday, bustle with the best of them, and work hard for someone else's gain. No, I want to create something of my own. Be my own boss and make my own hours. Dream Big...To work or not to work?
Not soon after this short-lived secession from conventionality I checked my bank account. To my dismay I made the quick change from bohemian to realist. I slid into a booth at Republic with my friend Conti and over a bowl of broth noodles, I asked the loaded question, "How can I make money really fast in this city?"
And guess what? These New Yorkers have an answer to that and it's on the front page of Time Out...57 ways to score cash fast to be exact. We walked to a local bodega and bought the little pearl of wisdom for $4. List to follow:
Marry someone from another country, uh skip...Nude Model, moving on...Pass out fliers, absolutely not. The thought of condoning more trash in the streets is not an option . Focus group guinea pig, fake ailment for med students, scout models, Ahhh I'm getting warmer.
Ding, Ding, Ding, model your parts...okay I did win the sexiest feet in Georgia contest, this could be a winner. Stay tuned for future Dr. Scholl's commercials...

In the meantime, I am beating the pavement. Yes, I'm getting lost. Yes, I am standing on the wrong platform, Yes, I am walking slower than most. And today with the help of a kind Metro employee (she winked at me 3x), encouragement from a New York born art broker on the subway, and passersby stopping to offer assistance as I unfolded my map, I got to know this city and it got to know me one day more. Dream on...

Are you chasing yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment