Saturday, January 31, 2009

It's Yours Too

Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." 1 Corinthians 10:23

One of my favorite lines in Willy Wonka is from the teacher Mr. Turkentine, "I've just decided to switch our Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it. But since today is Tuesday, it doesn't matter in the slightest. Pencils ready!"

I am finding it hard to be accountable to write daily about my days occurrences when New York City days seem to start later and go longer. So in not following Turkentine's advice and writing about today's events before they happen, I'm taking a less obtuse approach and recapping the day before....
I was invited to a rum punch birthday party last night in my neighborhood. A friend of a friend. It started at 11pm. Now this was either a typical or atypical New York party. It was in a high rise apartment building with a doorman. He had to turn a key in the elevator to ride up. The doors opened into her apartment, the whole floor....We were gleefully greeted by two girls in Carhart jumpsuits and fur stoles (patrons of the party), hugged and were immediately handed whippits.
For those of you not up on your urban dictionary, I'll explain.
Whippit: A small canister of nitrous oxide gas (N2O) often used recreationally to for its dissociative or psychoactive effects. In short, MORONIC! You might think I was judging them, but in the words of Apostle Paul, some things just don't build me up, and depriving my brain of oxygen on purpose falls under that category.
I declined. Besides, I was senseless and 18 once in my life.
With the risk of giving this party a bad name, I must say quite the contrary. Everyone is alive here and no one is posturing. All truly seem to be themselves and making no excuses for it. The dancing was real and uninhibited. The genuine smiles and attentive listeners were abundant and each soul I encountered was incredibly inviting and accepting regardless of if my choices didn't jibe with theirs. I walked home down Broadway amongst the barricades, screaming sirens, and people peeing in the street and the words of Bobby Brown kept ringing in my ear.

"Every body's talking all this stuff about me. Why don't they just let me live? Tell me why I don't need commission. Make my own decisions. That's my prerogative"

Is their anything in your life that isn't promoting growth?

No comments:

Post a Comment