Sunday, January 25, 2009

He Got Me Here

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5


There are approximately 8,310,212 people in New York City living, breathing, working, begging, striving, and succeeding. Over eight million. It's the largest city in the United States, a financial mecca rich with cultural diverseness flying nearly every flag in our great world. It is a constant. And not one of us is here by accident. Everything is happening according to plan. And by His glorious design, every last one of us is a planned masterpiece. Do you believe me?

I woke up early this morning to meet my cousin at her church in Times Square, C3 Manhattan. I chose to take the C train, actually let me rephrase that, I walked extra blocks on Canal unbeknownst to me that all trains lead to OZ or at least to 42nd Street. When I walked underground, there was one man on the platform.... Just one. Naturally, I said Good Morning. He asked me how we knew each other. I shared my hopes for New York and me in it. Do you know he shook my hand and verbally welcomed me to his city? I am not sure I ever did that in Atlanta.
I came up on 40th street and ran smack into the absolutely radiant New York Times Building. If it is possible to be star struck by an office building, I was. Turns out, the church is also in the building. A repose in the middle of the chaos and an auditorium full of the body of Christ, raising their hands and glorifying God. I was floored. Let me be very clear, I did not expect to see such worship in this town. Again, New York chipped away at it's own stale stigma.

The message was what I have believed and trusted in my entire life. That God knows me. He created me. He is the beginning and the end. He knows my past, present, and future. He designed me for a specific purpose and that direction is uniquely mine. To make matters even more glorious, there are over 8 million of those purposes all snug tightly on this island called Manhattan. How then can we not embrace creation if we know we are here to do the Lord's workmanship?

I have friends and family that are questioning my move or my motives. They worry about me leaving home, my husband, and my safety net. I don't. This is part of His plan.... God knows me and He got me here!

Again, do you believe me?

3 comments:

  1. Good day, lady! Glad to see you're shaking things up in NYC already. I can't believe they had a church in the NY Times building. Come to think of it I've never seen that building before. Where is it? I think I would be starstruck by it, too!

    With your outgoing and welcoming personality, I'm not surprised in the least that you've already befriended a cab driver, a man on a subway platform, a man at a coffee shop and the list goes on... what fun! I'm enjoying reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking reading your blog because it reminds me that Jesus is really the reason we are here and sometimes you momentarily forget that in the fast pace of life. I am excited when I'm reminded that he is in control and has made me for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine leaving all my seurity behind, especially my husband!! But I am so proud of you and truly enjoy your daily writings!
    You go, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete