Monday, January 26, 2009

Lovely Lady

"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me." Matthew 25:35

For over a century, The Statue of Liberty has symbolized freedom, hope, and the valiant power of the United States of America. She has greeted immigrants as they made their journey to the land of opportunity. Lady Liberty has welcomed refugees, wanderers, missionaries, beatniks, deadbeats, sojourners and iconoclasts. She has shined on her best and stood firm in our worst.
Today, she shone bright on me.

I took the free IKEA ferry off of Pier 11 to Brooklyn. I kid you not. An IKEA ferry named the Mickey Murphy. It was loaded down with mamas and baby strollers, excited shoppers, bags of castoff items returning to the shelves and ME. The absolute novelty of taking an Irish named vessel across the East River in the dead of winter already had me giddy but then, there she was....standing tall against a clear blue sky with such conviction. I cried out. Her grace and her posture took my breath away. She is an amazing patriotic symbol and it was in that moment I realized I am just one of so many to leave what was and come to what could be....
Now, hold on, I am not saying I fled from hardship and oppression in search of a safer life. I didn't. But I am here in search of something else. Something better.

I rode home with the same view and was so grateful for her open arms to me and the many that came before me. The hospitality I have experienced in my short time here has been overwhelming. People are sticking their necks out, taking me in, buying me lunch, offering sound advice, inspiring me and lovingly welcoming another stranger into their lives.

So, "Keep on loving mutually. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:1

What does that imply?

No comments:

Post a Comment