Thursday, January 29, 2009

Someone to Believe

"If I have walked in falsehood or my foot has hurried after deceit, let God weigh me in honest scales..."Job 31:5


One of my favorite New Yorkers wrote, "If you search for tenderness it isn't hard to find. But if you look for truthfulness, you might as well be blind." Is honesty so hard to give and is yourself so hard to be?
I can't remember when and am vague on the why, but at some point in my life, I became guarded. Call it private, cautious, conspiracy theorist, or what have you, I stopped divulging my deepest and darkest to people in my life. Now, what you see is and has always been the truth. I am consistently kind in manner, adventuresome by nature, and strong with my beliefs, but there's more to that story.
One of my strongest desires is to be known. All of me, my heart, head, my fears, dreads but have refrained because I didn't trust other people's intentions. I thought this was playing it safe. This take on life is a misnomer.

I've been thinking about this a great deal since I arrived, one generalization I brought to the city has remained thus far intact. New Yorkers love to tell their story. And believe me they all have one, and have no qualms about sharing it with strangers nor the consequences their words may have. And I am not talking about tall tales of extravagance or fame-filled enterprise. I'm talking about the raw. The nitty-gritty. The certainty. I love this.
It takes the guessing out of the game. Here's the truth, sugar coating covers up the real flavor!

So, after spending a good part of a 24 day with perfect strangers, I found myself disseminating the span of my life to every drifter who would listen. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
People called me brave, confident, uncertain, hard-working, calm, crazy, behind-the-times, headstrong and willing and able. But at the end of the day and with the more people I meet, I just want to be known as HONEST.

Do you walk the walk and talk the talk? Are you wearing your heart on your sleeve?

No comments:

Post a Comment