Friday, January 30, 2009

Moving and Shaking

"Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth." Proverbs 10:4

Seeing is not necessarily believing. At first glance this city appears to be in constant motion and productivity. Someone seems to be rapidly going or coming at all hours of the day. But then you look closer into the lives around or peer through your window to the tenant next door and a good many are sitting idle waiting to see what comes to them. Seriously, I'm watching one now. A woman I met actually said to me with all the walk ups (no doorman) in New York, people could feasibly stay in their apartment for weeks and go unnoticed.
And as cozy as it may be to stay under my down comforter in this weather, I woke with a clatter but I admit it was a melancholy clatter.

Last night, I had dinner with an old friend. Since the day I met her 22 years ago, she has been chasing one dream... to be a theatre actress. She recruited me into doing musical theatre when we were children and she has been pursuing it since. A focus. She commended me for my efforts, Babysitters4Hire, Dogwalkers Do, The Apple Store, to name a few and told me because of my energy and drive, the opportunities would keep presenting themselves. I hope. My AMEX was declined.
This morning over a treated coffee at a french bakery in Tribeca surrounded by strollers and nannies I explained my doleful career pursuits. I've applied to be an article writer for Examiner.com in NY, sent my resume as a copy editor for HBO, contacted Sesame Workshop, and implored the folks at Jeffrey to take me under their wing.

Feeling slightly defeated this afternoon and with $1 and change in my pocket, I realized my Friday night on the town would consist of wandering my new neighborhood.
Satiating myself with a purse full of chocolates I took from craft services, I walked eight blocks to my local Whole Foods and experienced my first starving artist New York moment...samples on Friday night! Green chicken curry and potatoes, jalapeno tuna on baguette, cucumber dip and red pepper hummus, and the best of all Organic Peak Pale Ale.
With a content belly, I walked up the street and into a private school to filled out their substitute teacher paperwork. Call me. And home to two glorious emails...one, Examiner is considering me to write articles on Christianity in the city and two, Law and Order, SVU needs me to play a coffee shop patron in an upcoming episode.
Great! Coffee and Christianity. I do both.
Thank you Lord.

Are you waiting for it to just fall in your lap?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How awesome is that?!? Go, you! I love being able to follow your adventures!

    ReplyDelete