Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You Gotta Walk Through It

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Luke 11:10

I had an idea of what I wanted to do for a living when I came here. It was certainly related to television, characteristic of writing, and similar to reporting with MTV circa Martha Quinn undertones. And when I woke this morning my intentions were certainly to follow through on that path.
Hot shower, long underwear, two sweaters, wool scarf, down jacket, snug gloves, toboggan hat, and GO... I made the short commute four doors up to Conti's incredible office space with bench seats in the floor to ceiling windows overlooking Broadway. An absolutely creative haven.

Basically the mission at hand was to design two resumes, one that caters to my television/broadcasting experience with an emphasis on sports (Giants not Yankees) and the other just emphasizing my life experience and capabilities, basically how much can I handle and for how long (New Yorkers prefer the latter). Tweaked and ready with a few pieces of flair, I ran the gamete from Nickelodeon, MTV, Turner, to Bloomberg Television. Nick Jr. is actually hiring for a preschool PA. I don't necessarily know what it entails but I clicked Apply to Job tab anyway. One step closer to children's television.

And while I could have played the waiting game, I explored the multitude of options New York has to offer in a freelance world. Central Casting holds open registration two days a week one hour a day. The company assigns principal and background roles for local shows such as Law and Order, In Treatment, Gossip Girl and you get the picture.
Guess who was there in the front of the line? Yep. The clock struck 4 and I walked through the door to a painless procedure of paperwork, bust, hips, and waist measurements, digital photos, and a wing and prayer. It was an absolutely exhilarating experience as I thought how profitable playing a corpse at a crime scene would look on my resume....See she's even capable of playing dead. And after an hour and half of worthy time and three head shots later, they casted me as an extra on the ABC Disney show Cupid spreading love in NYC.
I have to laugh. Tomorrow. My first day of work in the big city is on the small silver screen. How do you like them Apples? Just keep knocking...

When is the last time you took a bite out of life?

5 comments:

  1. SHUT UP!!!! Oh my gosh! Only you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You must not let your life run in the ordinary way; do something that nobody else has done, something that will dazzle the world. Show that God's creative principle works in you." -Paramahansa Yogananda

    Made me think of you! You go girl! Live the dreams that most don't have the strength to even try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing...I love how you just fly by the seat of your pants and tackle what it is you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you are having a great time...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my hero...seriously. So impressed with your bravery and commitment to being absolutely TRUE to yourself. Very proud of you- journey on, sister.

    ReplyDelete