Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor of Love

"Be strong and let us fight bravely for our people and the cities of our God. The LORD will do what is good in his sight." 1 Chronicles 9:13

My baby brother just joined The United States Army.
Voluntarily.
He's hanging up his electric bass, putting away his pining poems, and cutting his long blond locks for Uncle Sam.
He boards the bus bound for Fort Benning, Georgia for two long months of Basic Training in three short weeks.
I won't make it home to see him.
I believe the next time I do, he will be a changed nineteen year old boy to a different talkin man.

Jesus.
Time is ticking. Moments are fleeting. Frown lines are forming. Wars are brewing.
And I remember the day he was born.
I'm proud of him.
I think of the two awarded purple hearts hanging in my Texan grandparents home and I'm thankful.
Please protect him.

I look at my life and the worries I have decided to highlight. They are mere vapors next to the men and women who sacrifice their lives everyday for ours.

I can only pray that we soon have a President who doesn't tell us combat is over... while our soldiers fight and die up against Iraqi militants as I write these words.

And as nation, we rise to the great occasion, in which my brother can be proud to serve.

Got your orders...shoot on sight.
But does it seem right?






No comments:

Post a Comment