Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Onward and Upward

"Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God.He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--"
2 Corinthians 3:5-6

It's official. Despite the new permit fee Bloomberg has put in bitter place which affects all who want to shoot, film, or tape with Gotham as a background, production houses are turning their high budget noses up at $300 and moving their crews in tightly with the rest of us...
With six movies and over 15 television shows actively shooting in New York, there is plenty of work to spread around.


About the same time I was rejoicing in my two day booking on Kate Winslet's period piece,
someone (jaded) sent me an article about the pitfalls of background work.
After reading, I ruminated on the joykill.
Sure it is a catch-all for actors going up and or coming down. It gives perspective on the wild and unruly business. Extra work facilitates me making solid if not certifiable connections.
It's aided in my squeaking by on paying my bills and served as discovery of me and who I want to be if I grow up.
But, what stood out in the queasy belly provoking article was this quote from the writer Scott Powers "Actors should view extra work as a beginning,but not be trapped by it." It takes someone very brave to have the guts to know when to start turning it down and move on and making the next step happen."


So my next three auditions go something like this here...


Robin: early 30's. Extremely skinny and neurotic. She's a food writer at one of the biggest magazines in New York. Exercise junkie. Married to George.


Sherry: late 30s; Sort of pretty and seemingly out of place at a stake out. Red Sox Fan.


Mother: Buttoned-down, all-American, naive 30s-40s


How much range of motion do you have in your comfort zone?

1 comment: