Friday, February 12, 2010

Carrying On

"For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want." Galatians 5:15

Disclaimer: This blog post is all about me.

It's so easy to fall in love with New York City.
But I wouldn't want to be seeking my true love here....
The breadth of options are limitless. But the depth of substance runs shallow.

It's Fashion Week in Manhattan and the beautiful people have arrived...kicking off a lusty, smutty, snooty high style, high heeled love filled weekend of creative wealth and want.
My rocker girlfriend and I take solace in the sparkly on our fingers and a bottomless glass of tequila as we watch the lights flash over air kisses on the lonely perimeter of Bryant Park.

This subtle fondness was slow to come today after I whimpered over my five dollar latte at Cipriani's overlooking Grand Centrals bustling Main Terminal with disinclination that this self serving town is serving me well.

I equate the peaks and valleys of New York with childbirth.
What makes women endure the weight gain, hormone flux, constipation, contraction pain, etc..they get a precious baby in the end.
What makes the noise, traffic, congestion, competition, trash, and bitter coldness so tolerable?
You get to eat, sleep, and breathe the energy that is only New York.
And it's worth it...but there is still some late night crying.

As I kickoff my girls only weekend, I'm following the first rule of improvisation....saying yes to whatever is thrown my way, forsaking all ridiculousness.
Well almost...I withdrew my submission for a blond in a bikini on Special Victims Unit. Instead I'm a full frontal covered nurse on The Good Wife...careful not to be typecast in the boundless town.

“If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.” Sylvia Plath

Anyone else in a Love/Hate relationship?


No comments:

Post a Comment