Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Re-Lent

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Romans 2:1

Sackcloth and Ashes is mentioned in the bible a handful of times both in the Old Testament and New. The term is symbolic of humiliation, remorse, and outward grief. It's only used in describing states of immense repentance.
I don't want to write about Ash Wednesday but there is something I need to know...

Is the proud black smudge on foreheads honestly a representation of mourning and repentance or an obligatory act of temporary acknowledgment and a sign of life long self righteousness?

If I have said it once. I've said it enough. Lent is not Biblical. But so the ritual goes and flourishes in the coal colored, snow covered streets of New York.

As I took the clerk's station next to the judge on the mother ship Law and Order today, I received the perspective of the Judge. This thrilled me and scared me all the same. Towering above the gallery heads and shoulders above the law, but eye to eye with the ruler, my chest puffed out unconsciously as the faces looked up to meet my gaze.
No wonder man falls prey to power...but admittedly it isn't my job.

My faith is my faith and my neighbor's theirs alone. Who am I to judge an exercise of discipline and sacrifice if it makes those stronger and closer to Him?

So God Speed for the next 40 days.

Won't you stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment??
John 2:24






1 comment: