Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Strike a Match?

"What strength do I have, that I should still hope? What prospects, that I should be patient?" Job 6:11

Fact: Fewer than 5 percent of all actors actually make a living at their trade alone, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

"But I will rise.And I will return.
The Phoenix from the flame
I have learned. I will rise
And you'll see me return
Being what I am
There is no other Troy
For me to burn." Sinead O'Connor

The Phoenix is a mythical bird who lives out a life span up to 1,000 colorful glory years. Nearing the end of its life, it methodically builds an elaborate nest in which it knowingly sits upon and ignites. Both the bird and the nest burn ferociously to ashes. From this utter destruction, comes hope as a baby phoenix is born anew and with the same destiny to live as long as the one before.

HOPE. An actor's sidekick.

This morning as I dressed for the White House Correspondent Dinner satire on The Onion News Network, I repeated that four letter word over and over into my roller brush. Today is the day they see my whole product.....
Hours later I'm out the door with no speaking parts and a cold consolation bagel.

HOPE. An actor's necessity.

Tonight, I find myself surrounded by 15 plus year union veteran members in an acting seminar on Madison Ave...titled, "Rising from the Ashes." In actor verbage, that's "Your Miraculous Comeback." I look around the room at this mere sampling of sullen but hopeful faces still waiting for their big break... Words like old, outdated, and non contemporary roll of the teacher's lips and I am running for the elevator as fast as my EARLY thirties legs can carry me banging my head against the wall all the while.

Maybe Def Leppard was right...it is better to burn out, then fade away.


Is it time to douse your fading fire with water or gasoline?

No comments:

Post a Comment