Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Almost Gourmet"

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1 16-17

I recently read an article listing the ten most commonly used phrases."With all due respect"
(which I rarely use) and "I personally think" (which I use often) were among the top but the one that caught my eye was the term"fairly unique". I cracked up sitting there on the pot....
Fairly Unique. I wondered about all the events, ideas, and people that others were discussing that were missing the mark of "Unique."

Woke up to the quiet hum of my AC window unit, walked two flights downstairs to the deli below to buy a gallon of milk. Ate breakfast at my window watching two guys lower numerous kegs of Guinness down into the cellar of my neighborly Irish Pub. Just as the two skaters with Afros went by on their boards, my cell phone rang off the hook, a picture of a Red Rooster. Aah my old friend wants to grab some cheap grape leaves and fresh pita... Let's take our picl.
"I'll meet you in 20, I'm just getting on the train."

Another call. An even older friend. She has a full time writing position available and she called me first. It's on Wall Street. I take some recovery time. And then thank her profusely.
Sit down to my computer and tweak my technical writing skills on the resume and hit send.

Knock, Knock. My Super wants to come in and access another apartment via my fire escape.

Later. An open air Cafe. Ten dollar Greek Smorgasbord.
We walk out together to buy the status symbol of a New York Summer. A MUD Iced Coffee.
"Did I want to take a quick detour?"
End up in the back of two celebrities houses in a flagstone garden and fountain.
Another neighbor appears out of his doorway and wants to discuss the uncorrupted bodies of Catholic saints that are buried and still smell of gardenias and incense years later.
I tell him I'm a Christian. He loves it. He tells us of an herb that cools the body and room your in...but the only place to buy is New Delhi. And you must keep the root covered in dust.
I'm out,
Walk behind an epic drug deal. Drugs. Back pocket. Two paces. Money. Back Pocket. Dip.

Train uptown, Quick meeting to get headshots in hard copy and in the hands of casting directors.
Stroll across Bryant Park and onto a movie set with Amanda Seyfried and Vanessa Redgrave. Pop a squat with my Macbook while the camera captures the shot. And the paparazzi stand near.

Boarded a cross town bus and overheard a 70+ year old woman talking about her neurosis and all the drugs she did forty years ago. I turn to the passenger next to me and relay the conversation. We exchange numbers and make a date for Karaoke. Her favorite is HEART. Turns out we're neighbors.

Head towards home. "Our God is an Everlasting God" with a drumbeat is coming from the Park and I get caught in the tractor beam. Street Life Ministries is rocking the sounds of being Redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb and people are falling on their knees under the shade of the Elms. Some are just rolling their eyes.

Climbed into the storage unit. Phone rings. Law and Order books me for a three day jury shoot. I shout Hallelujah. Hop in a cab. We speak Swahili or rather I sing him a Swahili song.

Send a dirty text to my husband.

Dinner time. I walk West.
Dodge a tattoo artist vomiting in the street.
Ask a transvestite where she? got her heaping bowl of fro-yo.
Pass the couple killing a hookah at a casual street side dinner.
Get my Genoa salami from my Italian market.
Buy a $1 slice of New York pizza.

Home. Wine. Electrical Thunderstorm. A transformer blows and my AC comes to a screeching halt.

Would you categorize this as a "fairly unique" day in New York?



4 comments:

  1. Good report. Fairly interesting. : )
    (Meanwhile my BG career is not working out so well. Worked like 1, or 2 days in the past month.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would describe that as a very full, exhausting yet exhilerating day and I can see why you love it there!

    ReplyDelete