Friday, August 28, 2009

And That's All That I Am

"I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly." Psalm 40:10

Do I attract you?
Do I repulse you with my queasy smile?
Am I too dirty? Am I too flirty?
Do I like what you like?

Yeah, I could be wholesome, I could be loathsome
I guess I'm a little bit shy.
Why don't you like me without making me try?

I try to be like Grace Kelly. But all her looks were too sad
So I tried a little Freddie. I've gone identity mad!

I could be brown, I could be blue
I could be violet sky
I could be hurtful, I could be purple
I could be anything you like
Gotta be green, gotta be mean
Gotta be everything more
Why don't you like me?
Why don't you walk out the door!

How can I help it? How can I help what you think?
Putting my life on the brink...

Why don't you like me?
Why don't you like yourself?
Should I bend over?
Should I look older just to be put on your shelf?

MIKA

A pirate friend of mine told me after I shared my testimony with him over a J that my "religion" was the first thing he did not like about me
I told him it was the only reason he liked all the rest...
I'm up against that almost everyday.

Who is it that you want?
Because I gotta be me....
Closer to the Lord is where I want to be.

Talking about my faith has never racked up points in popularity contests. But, there is no question, when I'm acting like the child of God saved by Eternal Grace that I am, is when I like me most and the spiteful nitpicking subsides.

Could you stay dedicated despite the disapproval?





No comments:

Post a Comment