Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cross Street Neighbors

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." Psalm 13:5

The old me holds my cards close to my chest.
Always, protective of whomever might sneak a peak and use it offensively against me to take the lot. I had trust issues and questioned people's motives.
This intense and brutal defense mode I had adopted really had not lent itself to a ready made wide group of friendly company... actually quite a selective group.
Loyalty seemed to be fleeting. I was a loner.
And moreover, since I've been perpetually guarded in what others know of me, I am equally as cautious to tell other people's secrets/details/personal affects to close connections and simple strangers. In other words, I keep my mouth shut.
Therefore, when I received a day disrupting text from a friend who has been blatantly blowing me off that I should not to talk to his neighbors about him, I was slightly taken aback.
One, I questioned the audacity and two, felt vacant in the fact that this "friend" has no concept of who I truly am.
Maybe if you weren't the king of avoidance, we could experience some depth.
Maybe if you caught one beer with me, you'd know better.

The new me is an open book and with loose lips.
So steady as you go, I'm expanding my social circle.

"Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with.
You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it..."
--Positively 4th Street
Bob Dylan

I'm just thankful the Lord returns my texts.

If you friends don't know you, who does?

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister. Feeling a little unknown myself these days - but, What a Friend We Have in Jesus...

    ReplyDelete