Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Better Benchmark

"We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thessalonians 1:3

A slow rumbling of thunder in the gray sky, raindrops on the window. Believe it or not, fall weather rolled in last night and the ginkgo trees, usually a radiant green into October in the deep south are turning a golden hue. Standing over a steaming bowl of green curry I ordered at midnight this morning, unwanted visions of wool hats and leather boots start to appear...

“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.” Van Gogh

Sitting in front of my window watching the long sleeve, long pants pedestrians dodge the fat drops (procrastinating), I started to rattle off in my blank at the moment mind, what serves as my muse. And furthermore, where does that inspiration disappear to on days like these?

Overheard Dialogue- They say the tongue is the strongest muscle and the most powerful tool. Words formed and delivered from people's mouths can be nothing short of shocking and fascinating. Impossible to stand on a corner in downtown Manhattan and not walk away with a choice morsel to chew.

People Watching- Their walks, their talks, their style, their mannerisms. Truly inspiration can be found watching human behavior without judgement. Humanity may not always be pretty or your taste, but it is art.

Taking a load off at Washington Square Park was what the doctor ordered.
I think I'm coming down with something worse than writer's block.
And the blue cheese stuffed olives in my Bloody Mary only dulled the pain.
Sprawled out on a park bench I listened to two guitarists and two percussionists strum and hum in harmony in front of the focal point fountain as a crowd gathered around to soak up their flow.
My eyes wandered left to a man on his knees painting the most vibrant, imaginative mosaic design on the sidewalk with sand, by hand, a few colorful grains at a time. Above him stood the notorious limestone arch with the Washington quote saying, “Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair. The event is in the hand of God.”

WOW! Regarding the writing of the U.S. Constitution and encouraging all of us who walk, paint, play, dance, sing, sleep, dream and write underneath it that it isn't necessarily the outcome that takes precedence but the effort.

Do you have to limbo under the bar you've raised for your life?








No comments:

Post a Comment