Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rainbow Connection

"The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor." 1 Corinthians 3:8

P-U-R-P-O-S-E
That spells Purpose.

Ponder this. Every single red blooded one of us born of mommy and daddy and are out in the world in some shape or fashion of a J-O-B are serving a purpose.
I didn't say productive, life altering, meaningful, and whole. But a purpose.

This came to me as I was running across town in my "Juror" wardrobe to warm one of the twelve wooden chairs with a serious expression in the center of a sound stage courtroom for yet another guilty verdict on Law and Order.
My neighborhood baker was hosing down the front steps of his patisserie, disintegrating a stale morning paper into bits and sending it down the street into the drain. My friendly grocer took inventory while three rather large and sweaty men unloaded crates of General Mills products unto the sidewalk. The postman gave a hat tip as he greeted residents of Alphabet City.
New York's finest stood on the corner by the L as a few of the self starting recycling corps fished bottles and cans out of the bin.
From the props gal on set who hands me my juror button to the PA who is just changes the trash bags after catering, all of them were serving a specific purpose. This fascinates me.

My specific purpose for coming to New York has remained constant. New York is still here.
My purpose in abiding here has ebbed and flowed. Expanded and Retracted. Stood still.
I explained this to two women at the end of our "work" day.....
After we were dropped off on 9th, instead of going our separate ways, we decided to walk through the center of Times Square (why I am not so sure). I relayed to one of the woman (brain surgeon turned extra) that Sesame Street was a dream and one impetus for coming. Blending Children and Television seemed natural to me. Besides I was a product of where the air was sweet way before politically correct was popular. GAG.
Not crossing against the light, we looked up at a brand new Muppet billboard on 42nd Street. "That's a sign." she said.
The other woman turned to me and replied....
"Would you be surprised if I told you, I was married to a cast member who has been on the show for 38 years?"
" Um yes. Who?" I asked.
"He plays Luis."

AAAAAHHHHHHAHHHHHHAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAAAH!

Color me ELMO and knock me over with Big Bird's feather. Talk about a purpose.
Three grown woman screamed in hysterics and did a group hug right there under Jim Henson's genius creations smiling down....

We walked the rest of the way East towards home. (Yep, neighbors) And you couldn't slap the shit eating grin of my face. Only in New York.

FYI Luis is NOT and has never been married to Maria.
Emilio Delgado and his wife have been married for twenty years.

I wonder he can tell me how to get to Sesame Street.

Oh, who are the people in your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
Say, who are the people in your neighborhood?
The people that you meet each day.
--SS

And just what purpose do you serve boys and girls?

1 comment:

  1. I can still say, "My after many changes and incrediable life purposes, I''m so very proud of you."

    ReplyDelete