Saturday, August 22, 2009

I Like Mike

"Your beginnings will seem humble, so prosperous will your future be." Job 8:7

Summer streets.

"Our" Mayor shut down Park Avenue today for seven miles..
Normally shoulder to shoulder with hustling yellow cabs, the street was wide open with avid bikers, runners, and roller bladers galore. As far as the eye could see the synced lights all turned green, screaming go, as we trotted up the hill past the Flat Iron Building and towards the grander than grand, Grand Central Station.
I ran from East Village to 50th and back down again not stopping at one crosswalk and overjoyed with the absolute liberating feeling that this city is alive and I am a small part of it.

As I got caught in the rain on my way down south on the East River and six miles later, I stopped and looked up into the falling drops and prayed out loud.
The words of Delavega written on the sidewalk of St. Mark's this morning faded by the raindrops in my mind came calling back,
"This moment is more precious than you think."
And it dawned on me...this is a God given chance of a lifetime.
And I am well on my way to checking off another item on the gotta do it once list.. The New York Marathon...ouch.
Funny what endorphins can do...

Tonight, I nursed my overzealous knees and toasted my instant girlfriend with a second glass of Rose. Questioning the dynamic of one becoming two in my love affair with this city all in the next few hours as my husband comes through the Holland Tunnel with a loaded down car packed full of our belongings to squeeze into our glorified Manhattan box.
And we start all over again.

Another chapter begins. And the anticipation of the open road looms....

Do you believe in new beginnings?

No comments:

Post a Comment