Sunday, September 27, 2009

Covered Ground

"If a man is lazy, the rafters sag; if his hands are idle, the house leaks." Ecclesiastes 10:18

Goodness Gracious.
Let's talk about stark contrast or the vast difference a day can make.

Yesterday I rose with the blazing sun (5:40 AM) and ran towards the south shore to the small whisper of uncharacteristic Reef Bay and on to the ruins of an old Sugar Mill plantation. Not a soul to be seen. Not a car to be heard. Quiet. Through thorny bougainvillea, tire palms. snake grass and in and out of the deep green shadows of the valleys peaks. Graceful buck deer leaped the dirt road and youthful ferrel donkeys walked beside me on the sand. Just my breath and the azure sky.
Awoke this morning, heavy raindrops on my clouded window pain. A sullen gray cool hung damp in my chest. Taxi's impatience transferred to heavy honking. Dirty puddles and ripe vomit prevalent in the wet corners. The transient trio perched under a dripping awning between 2nd and 3rd Ave numb from their reckless lifestyle. Call me crazy but I don't understand how these kids don't think they deserve better than getting high, eating cardboard with sauce, and passing out in their feces stained cargoes.

Racing to the train and barely escaping the onslaught of brackish water from a passing delivery truck. I said to myself, I'm home.

And on a metro north train to Mass this AM, an intellectual opera connoisseur with a sinus infections says to me," You write a daily blog...that must be all you do."

I collapse with exhaustion.
Come October, I breathe.

What would become of all the balls in the air, if we slowed our pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment