Thursday, September 3, 2009

Walking Though the Park.. Reminiscing

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music." Psalm 57:7

Here is the song that awakened my soul this afternoon walking through Central Park in between bodies after a solid 5 hour workday...

The best things in life aren't things. They're living and breathing.
The best things in life aren't things. They're something you can believe in.
Do you believe me?
The best things in life aren't free, they're laughing and crying.
The best things in life aren't free, they're frightened, but they're still fighting.
Do you believe me?
The best things in life aren't free. They're broken and bleeding.
They best things in life, they're chosen to believe in.
Do you believe me? MF

Yeah. I'm a little one track mind right now.
But when I listen to his music. I feel like the person I want to be 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Free. Fun. Humble. Peaceful. Kind. Chill Considerate. Open. Loving. Loyal. Wild. Passionate. Tolerant. Resilient. Inviting. And yeah a little fanatic.

Here's the thing.
I can listen to music and be completely transported back to a memory, an emotion, a reckoning, or a state of mind. It seduces me. It elevates me. It is my my anti-depressant.
Kicking Universal Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals to the wayside....

If I thought fast:

Bob Dylan on our house loudspeaker and me in a Tropicana hoodie on our three tone brown pit couch.
Def Leopards Bringing on the Heartache will always conjure feelings of me pining for my older brother's attention.
Don't it make my brown eyes blue on long gotta pee family road trips to Nashville.
JT's Carolina in my Mind makes my mouth water with memories of fried chicken and mashed potatoes after church.
Leaning over my bed until the blood rushed to my head while I listened to Pink Floyd's,
The Wall- over and over again reminds me of my introduction to illicit drugs and a misunderstanding of that word called responsibility.
Or smoking my mom's Kool cigarettes I swiped and blowing out the un- inhaled smoke out my 2nd story bedroom window to Billy Joel's Piano Man when I was eleven and my parents just told me they were getting a divorce.

Michael Franti's message evokes a sharp sensation of exhilaration in me emphasizing the utter importance of today, the present, the leap, the move to Manhattan, the satisfaction of a tug at my heart that was unrelenting. A sensory that screams LIFE IS SHORT.
And growing into our own is such a gift. Embrace it and squeeze it.


As you move forward...what takes you back?


No comments:

Post a Comment