Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hollywood Ten+1

"By standing firm you will gain life." Luke 21:19

"Well she was an american girl

Raised on promises
She couldnt help thinkin that there
Was a little more to life
Somewhere else..."Tom Petty

It's getting darker earlier and the 65 degree weather has me wishing I was mellowing down easy with the Black Crowes at Central Park tonight.
Instead, I'm nursing a Brazilian (Oh did I mention South America) Pinot Noir and watching a compelling and rather inspiring documentary on the blacklisted writers during the McCarthy Era who were ostracized from entertainment and sent underground based on their political beliefs (real or suspected) Or as Dalton Trumbo unrepentantly said they were sent to concentration camps for writers...

Freedom of Speech a luxury?
I can read the first amendment just as well as you.
When our freedom of choice is gone...we are an utterly lost nation.
Oh my God. To be part of something so great and impacting in history.

Uh...steady as she goes.

Auditioned for a Dove Deodorant Commercial today in Brooklyn. Looking for that All American Girl next door type with blond hair, blue eyes, glimmering smile, and a twinkling pep in her step. After the close-ups of my arm pits and an interrogation of my shaving rituals...With a fan blowing my face giving me that very authentic windblown style, overlooking downtown Manhattan and Lady Liberty, I gave them the patriotic answers they wanted to hear...

Favorite food you ask??
It's a toss up....Hamburger or Apple Pies....
Don't call us, we'll call you...
So I will remain red, white, blue, and true.
And regardless of the needle in a haystack chances I have (1 in 500) I am already envisioning the Spain stamp in my passport and me a spokesperson for pure and simple beauty all travel expenses paid.
Not history. Not even close. But little leaps towards recognition.

"After all it was a great big world
With lots of places to run to
Yeah, and if she had to die
Tryin she had one little promise
She was gonna keep." TP

I want to write. But in order to write, I have to live. And release myself from the limiting plexiglass world of "hurt feelings".
I want to question authority. I want to dirty dance. I want live music to become my water. I want to run nine qualifying races before the end of the year. I want to learn Spanish. I want to quit making excuses. I want to live my own life. I want to quit feeling guilt. I want the anxiety of whose comfortable to cease. I want to sail the Hudson. I want to take workshops... I want to ONLY drink good beer, that is when I'm not drinking good wine. I want to read the Word. I want to go ZEN in the Trader Joe's line at Union Square. I want to let go of the reigns. I want to only live in the present. I want to say exactly the thoughts in my head without the slightest feeling of regret or sorrow of the image it gives me. (real or suspected)
This is the short list of desires of my heart tonight.

Oh yeah, all right.take it easy baby...
Make it last all night.
She was an American Girl.

Do you succumb to the pressure's of other's wills and wants?



No comments:

Post a Comment