Tuesday, September 15, 2009

She's Like the Wind

"For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want." Galatians 5:17

I don't want to write a daily blog anymore.
It has turned into an infringing scramble to try to organize the insanity of the day in some concise story telling manner that does it justice and at the end of the day, I want peace.
Yet I reflect on Dalton from Roadhouse and his choice words,"Pain don't hurt." And I'm comforted.

Stood on Staten Island as the clock struck a sleep deprived 6 AM calm. Lady Liberty's torch brilliantly aglow as the golden sun rose over lower Manhattan. And as I watched the buildings turn a shining amber, I wondered; How many struggling actors, aspiring writers, marriage builders, satisfaction seekers, new city discoverers, dream chasers, carrying three job individuals find moments to halt the madness to contemplate their emotional observations and physical experiences and transpose them into written words. Let alone drink themselves into a creative stupor.
I doubt Fitzgerald or Hemingway would have spent 14 hours of their life on a Phillip Morris commercial in shorts and flip flops staring out at the vast Hudson River watching the five story freighters pass by like cruise ships dwarfing the city in the background without some serious Absinthe authoring. They would have found immense inspiration and with that motivation for more clever composing. Not just a sunburn and a paycheck. I'm discouraged.
But reading an article on how to get noticed as a writer in this city, I hear Johnny Castle's charming, heart stealing, rough writing whisper in my ear.
"Nobody puts baby in the corner."

So tomorrow I'll see what the duties of a life sustaining day bring, And writing and work are amicable partners.And I'll hold big brother Daryl Curtis' promise nice and tight against my chest.
"Sure... sure little buddy, we ain't goin' to fight anymore.. **


It's a powerful force, changing directions on a whim, but don't you just want to pick up you feet and let it carry you away?


**The Outsiders. Confirmed without a shadow of a doubt that I am straight as a stick.
Goodbye to our favorite toughie Patrick Swayze.



No comments:

Post a Comment