Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Largest of Larges

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already." 1 John 4:13

I dreamed that somehow I was wrangled into a velvet cushioned stool at a seedy fortune teller stall, doused with lavender water and told that I am a strenuous walker who does not take loving care of my feet. And before I could be taken aback with her uncanny spot on truth, I look down to a fuzzy glimpse of my blister worn battered tootsies in flip flops and a raincloud bursts over her head smearing her mascara into her beady eyes.
That could be equated to the soothsaying brilliance of a palm reader telling me that I am a girl who likes to drink wine...meanwhile I am sitting there with my hands in hers smiling with dull purple teeth.
Nightmare.

Walking in Union Square I passed by a young man holding a homemade sign with the words written in block letters, FREE ADVICE...donations accepted. He was engaged in a conversation with a seasoned red-eyed woman who was furiously talking with her heavily ring clad hands.
Behind them a long line of other searchers rocking from one foot to the next in anticipation of their life's pining questions answered..
I was baffled. But not surprised.

Look I believe in psychotherapy. I'm a fan and if I had money, I would partake.
I believe in God. I believe there is wisdom in a multitude of counsels.
I do not put a pinky's worth of stock into necromancers, fortune tellers, tarot card readers, crystals balls, Magic 8 Balls, or Ouija Boards as any form of sage advice for my future dealings and decisions.
There are evil spirits and Satan and his demons are real. They are active in our daily world and can present themselves as righteous and full of light.
And according to the extensive list of Mediums in Manhattan, the people of NY are rejecting God, inhaling too much incense and inviting ill will into their lives on a regular basis...
My question is this...if you don't need God. And you are the center of your own Universe. Then how the hell are these bullshit artists continuing to feed you with crap, push crystals into your searching soul and afford their prime real estate East Village storefronts lit only by lava lamps?

And if you don't believe me...
In Matthew we learn Jesus has all power and He will always be with us.
In 1 John we are comforted that Jesus, who is in us, is more powerful than Satan.
And in Romans 8:31 The great news is if God is on your side, we don't worry about the enemy.

Now let's hear it for the last song of my wedding night...

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
Gotta have a friend in Jesus
So you know that when you die
He's gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky
Gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky. Norman Greenbaum ( A Jew)

Who do you seek for your sanity?


No comments:

Post a Comment