Monday, December 28, 2009

Neutralizing Paralysis

"Nothing on earth is his equal— a creature without fear." Job 41:3

Just turned down a male enhancement infomercial where I discuss with my girlfriends how disappointed I was with Man A and his unsatisfying smallness but delighted with Man B and his wildly wonderful girth.
Premiering my multiple partner sex life simply is not on my path toward success.

"The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set-up by the non-dreamers" William S. Burroughs

My big plans for my workless Monday fell flat with a lack of determined direction. My internal voice whispered to my protective spirit in a condescending tone and my heavy eyes closed until noon, blacking out the opportunities of colorful content a stroll down Avenue A can bring. Now, I'm chasing the sunlight with an anxious pursuit of I'm just not focused enough.

"The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly." J.D. Salinger

Alas, writing indoors can be so isolating.
So baking bread in my little domesticated East Village hole while the eccentricities of Manhattan twirl and spiral about , I boringly turn on the boob tube for company and am immediately sucked into back to back Inside the Actor's Studio episodes.
Legendary Goldie Hawn tells me not to give up on my creativity, to keep writing even if there is no one who cares what I have to say or I am discouraged by my own defeated thoughts, because one day someone will hear me and when they do.....I'll just worry about the next time they will. Creativity must never cease.

Sarah Jessica Parker's interview, obviously highlighted her supreme reign as Carrie Bradshaw on Sex in the City, struck me with an uneasy and unrealistic blow. This high fashion quasi celebrity takes an entire week to brunch, bar hop, boink, and bemuse her fabulous NY surroundings before composing them into one weekly observation featured column. Now, who the hell can't handle that... which again puts another mark in the loss column for writing a daily blog while working. The entertainment value wanes.

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot." Stephen King

Between life sustaining labors of love, cash catching and career composing, I search for a balancing moment to relish in one of my favorite indulgences, the observation of character and the escape into the clever minds of others....
I am doing myself and curious readers alike a disservice staying safely indoors. Time to brave the 20 degree elements and expand my consciousness.

“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” Helen Keller

Can you think of anything scarier?


No comments:

Post a Comment