Monday, December 7, 2009

Smile, Smile Smile

"But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful." Psalm 68:3

I knew New York City had some hippie in it... The next few shows coming to town are Gov't Mule, Franti and Spearhead, Bob Wier and Phil Lesh. I'm a happy camper....

Some days walking through this city could be likened to walking through a music box. And one of these days I will stop and listen to everyone of the spinning talented lyricists I come by....(that slowing down thing is coming, I just know it.)

Somehow, someway, a self help audio track entitled "Vibrations-How to be Happy" made its appearance on my second hand IPOD today. In a trance, I listened to the first few opening words of the obviously drugged and methodically strange voice ....."Envision physically cutting all complaining out of your life...and picture your world where there are no impediments entering in which you could possibly complain about...Now breathe it in."

I close my eyes and envision a Rum Painkiller in hand, Cuba sprawled out in front of a bare bikini clad me, an infectious Jam Band playing loudly, and the oh so very legal marijuana cigarettes being passed like flower petals at a wedding.
Oh wait, that WAS my reality last January....

Today scarfed, hatted, gloved, and buttoned up tightly, I look down at my latest edition of New York Magazine and their consistent pessimistic view of the last ten years... "THE OO's....The world didn't end, but everything else did." And the positivity juice temporarily halts its flow...what is wrong with us?

Emotions are contagious. And I aim to spread a little more sunshine than spite....(this includes sidewalk rage.) And we'll see if generation iconoclast follows suit.

Is optimism uncomfortably unfamiliar?

No comments:

Post a Comment