Tuesday, January 26, 2010

After School Special

"For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth." Psalm 71:5

Surprise house calls to talent agencies this morning gives a life lesson in rejection resilience. Tonight, I'm reminded of another tough teacher...

Fifteen years. That's how much time had passed since I looked deeply into this friends eyes. Twenty years since I really saw her. Tonight, I did both.

New York City has provided a wealthy opportunity for me to reunite, make concessions, clear the air, and get a transparent picture of me then, in unspeakable ways.
As so many of us have fled here looking to molt and grow, we still find we carried some weight of the gunny sack with us.

High School. Ah yes high school, which I often speak of fondly seemed status quo to all of us kids trudging through life, hiding our own internal darkness as the teenage experience we endured was normal as far as we were consumed or concerned.
But upon closer evaluation, it wasn't the mean girls, break ups, sneaking drinks, getting pregnant, dying on prom night kind of education.
It was heartbreak.
And our innocence faded into the blurred lines of parents abandonment, herpes epidemic, concealed guns, hidden rape, lying cocaine and suicide.
Now I know...this wasn't even next to normal for bright eyed babies grasping at this thing called life. Not even close.
Somewhere between sitting shoulder to shoulder on our seventh grade school bus to staring at her angelic adult face in a quiet Village dive lit by stained glass, we realized we had missed a great deal of one another's pain and made an urgent date to share in our present joy....

Don't you gain strength from every growth spurt?


No comments:

Post a Comment