Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sheer Volume

"Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all." Acts 10:34-36




5, 883. That's how many hits I received since January 30, 2009.

I never knew what pleasure could be derived from the appearance of a little red dot. To see it in its infant stages and watch it bulge with growth was always a gentle cattle prod in the morning telling me to stick with it... It matters.

Every crimson colored speck on the map represented a person I may never see but certainly could touch.
The louder I spoke, I found myself imagining their lives, habits, surroundings. Where were they when they read my words? Were they invigorated or aggravated in a dusty crowded Internet cafe in Arusha Tanzania with the computers powered by a generator...were they smoking a joint overlooking Magen's Bay on the lush north end of St. Thomas, or sitting at a desk in the posh suburbs of Melbourne, bellied up in smoky pubs in Dormstadt Germany, cynically reading in spacious walk-ups in Queens?
Did my thoughts resonate from the Ivory Coast to Venezuela and in so many warm and familiar homes in Georgia...
Who were they? And what did they think of me?

Were they cheering me on as I steadfastly chased the horizon or were they envious with regret and hoped for my blatant failure?
Did they scoff at my recreational use of mind expanders , want to slap me for my ungratefulness at my abundant blessings , wonder why the hell I am caught up in my plans versus my neighbors salvation?
Did I assist in annoying their set political beliefs? Or did I make them think, question their place, help them reach out to someone who was lost, capture their attention? If they stumbled upon me, were their gains fortuitous?

What if I facilitated a long awaited reckoning? What if I bored the shit out of you?

Did I whisper Jesus' name for the first time to a seeking reader? Did I say it one too many times for a scorned unbeliever?
My calling from the Lord Jesus has always been to preach the gospel of tolerance to every creed, color, and culture.
And my request has remained to receive the same....


I knew I wanted to write for me. But didn't know I would be so touched by writing for you.

That beautifully decorated map resembling my blood to yours disappears today.
Thanks for tracking my progress.


Do you know what it feels like to wrap your arms around the globe..how about your neighbor?


**Steps of a Thailand Temple on my honeymoon
**Children's Prayer before a meal
**Orphanage in Africa

2 comments:

  1. Rachael, I stumbled upon your blog tonight after looking up a few friends from Georgia State. How excited I am to have found you! I'm adding a red dot to your map, and am looking forward to reading your posts and catching back up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dot to Dot. I hope your readers will find themselves connecting through your beautifully written blog. That we may all feel one another's arms around each other, trusting time has us all and one day it will be no more and we will have all been made richer by the love we shared through The Sweet Peach, you.

    ReplyDelete