Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Giving Tree

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalm 1:3

If the Catholic church out my bathroom window ceases to chime Silent Night in the near future, it will be far too soon... It gives me warm comfort on these single digit nights...

Ask anyone living in NYC what the most desired component to their apartment living would be and I'm guessing the word VIEW would roll from their overpaying lips more times than elevator, doorman, or closet space (close second).

Outside my third floor walk up window is a massive 50 foot Honey Locust Tree whose branches span across the entire building and open growing trunk beautifully splits at eye level.
When I moved in with two suitcases and a down comforter, the AC was working overtime and her broad green leaves were so dense, they hindered my curious gaze into my cross street neighbors windows.
Come September and still bright green, furiously going and tirelessly coming I watched her fruit (pods) as they fully matured producing a sweet nectar... Autumn in New York brought cool breezes through the screen and an intensely golden scene against a cloudless blue sky as the legumes bent downwards and she turned an unabashed brilliant yellow while the sun set sooner and time marched faster.
Somewhere between 5 AM call times, fast running trains, and me losing my full mind, I missed the leaves falling to the ground littering St. Mark's curb, and I woke up one December morning to her sweeping limbs bare naked and covered in a lustrous white dusting ...

Today as the Arctic wind whips the broad branches against my window panes and the flakes grow larger, I look forward to the fragrant cream colored flowers that spring will bring.

Locusts known to endure urban conditions, tolerate freezing cold winters, and still thrive with high air pollution, this gorgeous specimen provides me with a rivaling spectacular Manhattan view I wouldn't trade for all the storage on Park Avenue.

"It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most, it's making a great deal out of the little ones." -Jean Webster

Does your outlook show much growth?




No comments:

Post a Comment