Saturday, March 13, 2010

Saturated

"I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."Genesis 9:11

Even the driving rains can't keep the insane at bay. I'm already envisioning landfills teeming with wind torn umbrellas tossed to the curb in a drunken Saturday night stupor. I press my cold nose to the window to watch the wet passersby shriek as a yellow taxi sprays a sheet of muddy water on their party dresses.

This four day torrential spell comes right after five staunch NY architects present their plans in a Museum of Modern Art exhibit. Ideas ranging from laying a beach of absorbent green sponges around the edges of Manhattan to save it from the rising water to dumping our copious amounts of beer and wine recyclables into the harbor to form an artificial reef.
This of course being an afterthought to laying bricks and paving streets over the once mudflats and salt marshes sandwiched between two converging rivers from the Long Island Sound.

Me?? Hunkered down in a cashmere cardigan and slippers resembling a sexier Fred Rogers singing I'm just a little black rain cloud hovering under a honey tree.
And trapping the mice who flee the flooded drains and into my higher ground apartment.

Thankful I won't have to wait 40 days for a rainbow to part the clouds.

Golly Gee, Ain't city life fun?


No comments:

Post a Comment