Sunday, March 29, 2009

Come One, Come All

"Is it not written: My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations? But you have made it a den on robbers." Mark 11:17

Here is my problem with organized religion. Marginalization.

When Jesus went into the temple that was segregated into two areas, one for the believing Jews (sacred) and the other, an outer Court of the Gentiles (not sacred) and saw the money exchangers and vendors all dominating with their business affairs,  he angrily condemns them and speaks those words.
A house of prayer for all nations...
Not a house of judgement, Not a house of ritual, not a house of condemnation, not a house of regulation. But a house of prayer for ALL nations.

I have NO idea what makes a Baptist, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, an Episcopal, a Latter Day Saints any different or above the next. I just know I believe in Jesus. And he's above them all.

Out of all of the churches I have visited since arriving in Manhattan, communion has been offered twice to the congregation.
This misty grey morning I visited The River Church in the financial district on lower Manhattan. The lead pastor Charles Park began the church four years ago after he received his PhD at MIT in Economics...Holy Brain!  He preached about "crossing the moat" from your castle and reaching out to others...
After an amazing bongo drum driven song and praise, he called us all to prayer and communion.
Christians observe communion because the Lord told us to. It is a time to remember what Christ did for us. A time to examine our walk. And a time to proclaim the Lord's name until He comes again.  It it Christ's table alone and ANYONE is welcome to come to it who has the desire to put Jesus in the center of their life. Let me say that again. Anyone. All nations.
Have you ever been to a house of worship and been told you can not take communion because you are not of that faith?
I have. Hence the marginalization. It's bullshit. 
More reason why my peers close up like rejected clams at the mention of church. 
Here me now and here me well...In all free countries, Vatican City as well, no man can deprive anyone of us by spending time with the Lord.
Standing firm in that one y'all.
 
Who is on the outskirts of your kingdom?




No comments:

Post a Comment