Saturday, March 28, 2009

Me, Myself, and I

"If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls  and has no one to help him up!  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?" Ecclesiastes 4:10-11

One of my dearest friends called me from San Francisco today as I was sitting on a park bench watching Tim Robbins play street hockey on this mellow Saturday afternoon...
Since she moved from Atlanta to SF, we've been pretty consistent on our Saturday calls. Sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month, but always keeping the connection warm between  the two coasts.
We talked about our life choices. The last 12 years. She commended me for my move here but asked me if I ever get lonely? Surrounded by hundreds of shopping back toter's in SOHO, immediately my knee jerk response was a resounding no! I'm a loner. I relish my quiet time. I enjoy being inside my head... But walking alone on this first breath of spring gave me a serious case of the downright blues.
 The Indigo Girls wrote a song called, "Something about the Southland in the Springtime". Where there is nothing more pleasing than azaleas, redbuds, Bradford pears, and cherry blossoms filling the air and making winter a mere memory. It is without a doubt the best and the briefest season in Georgia. A couple pleasant days find everyone in desperate search for the perfect patio to kick back a few and soak up the sun, days later we're running in desperation to anywhere inside closed doors and air-conditioned...
In New York, Spring is for lovers... spent outdoors and lingering  from cool March to sultry late June.
Every single restaurant that has sidewalk space is erecting outdoor tables and groups are flocking to the lack of elbow room still in their down jackets, tilting mimosas, turning over finished wine bottles, laughing, touching, kissing,  fellow shipping. Brunch runs until 4 PM in Manhattan where revelers are deep into their glorious and (enviable) bacchanalia.

Today, I'm lonesome.  I miss my husband. I'm craving my girlfriends. Today NY is BIG.
You got to have friends.
The feeling's oh so strong.
You got to have friends
to make that day last long. B. Midler

To Drink or not Drink Alone, that is the question?



No comments:

Post a Comment