Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mmm Smorgasbord Good

Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low.  The crooked roads shall become straight,  the rough ways smooth. And all mankind will see God's Salvation." Luke 3:5-6

Growing up in the south, of course I heard the word and witnessed to some degree, the separation of races and ethnicity's as a form of discrimination or exclusivity. It was often black and white. And frequently not by elect.
 Never before in my life have I experienced it by such grand choice as exhibited here.
Residential and Restaurant Segregation. That is truly symbolic of NY. Between Chinatown, Little Italy,(obvious)  K-Town,( Korean) Flushing, Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill (recent college grads), Chelsea (gay), the list goes on and on. The neighborhoods are defined by the lifestyle. Say if you live on the Upper West, you're a young family. Puerto Ricans dwell  in Spanish Harlem.
 Now before you tell me I am judging, this is what patrons of this neighborhood are telling me. In fact, an NY born and bred told me today, if I want to see diversity take the 7 train through five different ethnic groups between 5 different stops, I'll see Filipino Barbecue to Dominican, Romanian, German and Indian fare all for a $2 ride... One third of this city's population is foreign born!!
No, I am not going John Rocker on any of you. This absolutely gorgeous, diverse, melting pot of cultures and cuisines is what makes this city beautifully hypnotic. I'm in a food coma trance. And I'm soaking it to full capacity.
I met my old neighbor in the East Village for dinner tonight. She was raised in Queens and lives in Atlanta now. She recommended a restaurant whose motto is "Ramen is the Soul Food of NYC", an authentic noodle place called Ippudo. I arrived at 6:50 to a wall to wall happy hour crowd of for the most part, Japanese. My girlfriend told me she would meet me at the bar, despite the four deep crowd, I decided not too worry..I was the only blue eyed, blond in the room.

As a foodie, I put another tally in the love NY box. But as a lover of all mankind, I am in Hog Heaven...

"Coffee black and egg white
Pull me out from inside.
i am ready, i am fine." Counting Crows

Are you color blind?

No comments:

Post a Comment