Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hide it? Snuff it? No!

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14

On my flurry filled bagel walk this AM, I stopped short to bend over and read the front cover of The New York Times  that was blowing in the wind. Smack dab in the middle of the page was a couple holding hands, heads bowed in prayer over the loss of the husband's job.
The New York Post featured an article today about the fear and unknown of these trying economic times and how people are turning to God for the first time ever. 
How men who have lost their jobs are turning to the friary.
People are scared. Their situation's unsteady. Their lives in disarray.
With uncertainty abundant, Church attendance is up....MMMmm

Mosaic: (adj) composed of a combination of diverse and broken elements.

 Mosaic Manhattan Church a brisk walk from my apartment and a stone's throw from Ground Zero opened my heart this morning. 
Hallelujah, I came to Manhattan thinking I would find a land desolate of Christ loving churches and there I was standing again amongst the broken, just like me.
The title message was, Making the most you can at work...or out of work. 
Be it prison or paradise, You are there for a specific reason.
Once a persecutor of Christians, the Apostle Paul spent years in chains day and night spreading the gospel of the Lord.  Do you hear me? Because of his imprisonment, he wrote a large portion of the New Testament and preached Christianity worldwide.
The pastor implored us all to examine where we are in life. Why are we in New York during these difficult times and in all of our UNPLEASANT situations, like Paul what are we doing to advance the Kingdom of God? 

Wow! Not that was a question that took my breath away. 
A friend of mine told me shortly after I arrived here, I should water down my faith. Don't wear in on my sleeve.  I started examining my reasons for being here and now.
 A lot of it is satisfaction, pleasure seeking, a change of scenery.... 
But knowing that God is bigger than all of that, I'm gonna let it shine.

"Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5: 15-16

Why are you where you are?






No comments:

Post a Comment