Friday, March 6, 2009

Singing for My Supper

"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord." Ephesians 5:19

It's 2 AM. The long subway ride home filled with more eye candy to feast. Rooftop party at Hotel Empire, fireplaces ablazing, dance floor hot with spectacular view of Central Park ..Whee!. At this pace I will be sleeping the remainder of my birthday weekend.. But as Def Leppard says, it's better to burn out, than fade away...

New York City is a town of many extremes. The vivacity and power in foot traffic alone is enough to intensify the pep in your step. Up stairs, around corners, on trains, in taxis, down one ways, at all angles there is continuous motion. A cacophony of sounds  pulsating from subways screaming, horns honking, tires treading and heels clicking the pavement is always a flutter making your heart race to the rhythm. And  oh amazing power that this city gives and takes from you is strong and constant.  The lows are so deep and the highs are soaring. But all that activity and all of its endurance can flip on the down beat, the second you venture indoors.

Spent the majority of my day walking this grand city with a purpose. Through Tribeca, SOHO, West Village, up the Hudson into Chelsea, through the flower district...and back home again. Randomly ran into two people I've recently met (one works for ESPN Magazine..j.o.b.), all the while listening to a playlist of NWA remakes. Seriously Eazy E meets Robin Thicke...and I'm the crazy one cracking up on in the middle of the street...

Blessed with the company of an old friend, three dozen red roses, chilled rum shots, reggae dedication, shared cab, and three blocks later. The fast paced ticking of the Manhattan song came to a standstill as we sauntered down into Marie's Crisis Bar and the sounds of Gershwin filled my ears...OH WOW! 
Named from a famous line from Thomas Paine, this little gem of a establishment was playing and belting out the good ole Broadway show tunes in full dramatic fashion. The piano player and about 6-8 musical theatre hopefuls were all bellied up and in sassy character. From Oliver to South Pacific, this crowd was in glorious rare form..With dirty martini in hand I joined in the festivities. No Happy Birthday was sung, but a couple Les Miserables songs and  full-body reenactments of West Side Story and Chorus Line favorites, I was in my hey-day. I sang until my heart's content, unabashedly, without abandon, and in celebration of the day and days to come.
"I feel charming, 
Oh, so charming 
It's alarming how charming I feel! 
And so pretty 
That I hardly can believe I'm real." Maria-West Side Story 

Take note: if my writing is spotty or you haven't seen me in quite some time. A sure bet..I'm giving requests and feeling the glow of the stage...give my regards to Grove Street.

Could you have danced all night? 

No comments:

Post a Comment